Velo Bella-Kona Ride

Putting it into perspective

Monday, November 28, 2005

Thanksgiving Ride

By Esther Kim

I hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!

I haven't been riding too muchlately but I thought thanksgiving was the perfect opportunity/excuse, to get my lazy butt back on the bike. I did the thanksgiving day ride up Kennedy. I figured it would also make me feel a little less guilty stuffing my face with thanksgiving dinner and pie afterwards.

My boyfriend and I tried to get an early start up the hill, and by the time we got to LG there was a huge crowd of people who already took off up Kennedy. I made my out of shape butt up that climb, huffing and puffing, using my 2 foot rule as a guide all the way up the hill. (2 foot rule: only look 2 feet in front of you when going up a steep hill, as to not overwhelm yourself).

The only other time I've climbed Kenendy, was last thanksgiving! It was amazing to see everyone out and about, being passed uphill by an 11 year old, and probably 60 year olds. One guy had a pie box tied to the back of his bicycle and it read "free pie at the top". If that doesn't motivate someone, I don't know what will.

As I made my way slowly up the hill, someone commented that they thought my streamers on my handbars were holding me back, adding extra weight. There was extra weight, but definitely not from the streamers :) I saw a few bellas as well. I saw a blond bella with some pink hair flair passing me up with a hello (sorry I dont' know who you are), but you'd be happy to know that other guys were asking about you! I had one guy come up to me while I was crawling uphill ask me who you were and alas I couldn'tsay. You made quite the impression on the boys.

Anyhow, with so many people passing me on the hill it got a little lonely and sad, but I told myself that this year I was going to make it all the way up, no walking that last stinkin steep hill at the top. As I started that last hill towards the top of kennedy, I could see people walking up it. Some decided to walk as soon as they saw the hill and others walked after riding up half of it. My two foot rule was still in effect. I started up the hill and there was a guy next to me who looked like he was ready to take on the hill as well. It was nice to have someone to share the pain with. We both road up side by side. My heart was ready to explode but I wasn't going to walk, even if I had to fall over trying. The guy ran out of steam and walked, but I somehow still managed to get upthat stinkin hill without getting off the bike. I was pooped!

I think I saw Sabine all smiles at the top walking around up there. For the descent back, my boyfriend suggested we go straight towards PowerPoles instead of taking Priest down. I, of course, ask if there's anymore climbing, to which he responds "only a little hill". His "only a little hill" turns out to be 4 of the steepest uphills, steeper than any other hill coming up Kennedy. He told me he forgot about those hills. We would climb one steep hill, only to see another one. After the third hill I told him if there was another hill I was going to cry, to which he responded, "you did bring your kleenex right?".

Although the ride ended up being a longer loop than expected, it was still fun and a great way to start off thanksgiving. I'm thankful for being able to ride my bike and being part of a wonderful biking community, and being a bella!What other club would get comments like, "oh la la", and "go bella bellabella" from complete strangers :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home