Velo Bella-Kona Ride

Putting it into perspective

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Fruitaaaaaaahhhhhh

This past weekend I made a very spontaneous trip to Fruita, CO. It filled all my lusty desires for sunshine and singletrack that Northern California has been denying me lately.


The local bike shop was awesome and I opted to rent some fat tires rather than lug or ship my own. No Konas (boo) but at least I was supporting my homies up north. Sweet ride, oh yeah. And as they say in Bicycling Magazine, this may no longer be a want - I think it has become a need.


This was a solo journey so here is the requisite dorky self-portrait (not afraid to rock a little fashion in the desert):

Alas, I have finally given up on trying to squish my head into a Giro (even though this year's colors look so pimp). It seems to be a round hole, square peg sort of thing. The melon is so much happier in its new lid.

Did I say singletrack? Everything on the menu - fast, swoopy, scenic, technical, rocky...

...there was even a 30 foot "rappel"! This trail ran through a dried out river bed for several miles and had a waterfall (more like a watertrickle) in the middle of it. I'm not really sure if it counts as a rappel if you awkwardly drag your ass down while clutching a rope. I lowered the bike first thinking "nothing parties like a rental".


I had a lot of fun taking pictures of this freaky guy. He had awesome yellow toes that matched his outfit.

Pretty stuff grows in the desert:


One snowstorm (over I-70 in the Rockies, not in Fruita) and one flight later I was back in NorCal. Now it's time for some local sunshine and singletrack. Yehaawwww!

4 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Blogger Jed said: said...

SICK report.

I've ridden those trails...awesome!

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Velo Bella said...

lucky

I need to go there

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Love reading this but love the pics even more! I think I really need to buy a Kona MTB. Cheers, 'Liz.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger maleonardphi said...

That looks like it was a blast! Hey, I need some flair help. I want to get my niece and nephew tricycles for their 2nd bday (twins). Any bella flair advice for a pink tricycle, stickers or anything? I can do a manly blue tricycle in proper TWW fashion, but the flair, I'll come to the experts for advice.
-Matt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home